Starcomms chairman not detained by EFCC

Lagos, Nigeria, 26 June, 2012:  The management of Starcomms Plc has said the chairman of the company, Chief Maan Lababidi, was not detained by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) in connection with its on-going investigation into the company’s N64 billion 2008 private placement.

There had been reports on the internet and a certain newspaper claiming that the chairman of the company was detained by the EFCC over the issue.

But Mr. Logan Pather, managing director and chief executive officer of the company explained that the EFCC invited him (the CEO) and Chief Lababidi only came to the EFCC on his volition to join him in providing details which could assist the commission in its on-going investigation.

He said the chairman left the EFCC’s premises in Abuja that same evening and was never detained, neither did he spent the night at the commission’s office in Abuja.

//Ends.

About the company

Starcomms Plc, Nigeria’s 4th largest telecommunications operator and leading “triple-play” (mobile, fixed wireless voice, wireless broadband) provider.

It is the first telecommunications operator in Nigeria to be listed on the domestic Exchange on July 14, 2008. Starcomms commenced operations in 1990 with a customer base of less than 2,000, at the end of June 2008, the network had crossed over 1.5 million subscribers; making it the 4th largest telecommunications operator and largest CDMA 3G Mobile network in the country.

Friday Atufe

Senior manager (media)

TPT International

Comments are closed.